What is a scope and sequence?
A scope and sequence are a summary of what is to be taught, the sequence in which it will be taught and the syllabus outcomes that may be addressed in the intended learning.
Why do we need scope and sequence documents?
Scope and sequences form part of the ongoing documentation or evidence schools maintain to comply with the department’s policy, policy standards and registration requirements. A scope and sequence identify the learning/units of work that forms an overview of the school’s educational program. Find out more about Policy implementation and system registration.
Developing a robust scope and sequence has many benefits and may help teachers and schools to:
- Promote high expectations for student learning
- Identify opportunities for explicit teaching
- Create opportunities for students to receive feedback on their learning
- Systematically plan for and undertake assessment
- Collect and use data to monitor achievements and identify gaps in learning
- Differentiate curriculum delivery to meet the needs of students at different levels of achievement
- Collaborate with other teachers to plan for quality teaching and learning.